APPLICATION FOR GHANA CHAMBER OF MINES (GCM) – TERTIARY EDUCATION FUND (TEF) SCHOLARSHIP FOR UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS (2022/2023 ACADEMIC YEAR)
Relevant Information/Instruction for the Application for the GCM-TEF Scholarship for Undergraduate Students
The undergraduate scholarship has two categories of beneficiaries: brilliant and needy (70% of the scholarship) and extremely needy (30% of the scholarship). The objective in both cases is to provide financial assistance and motivate students to aspire higher. Interested undergraduate students will complete an online application form and submit with all relevant supplementary documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. The UMaT GCM-TEF Committee will vet the application forms and recommend short-listed applicants for consideration by the GCM-TEF Governing Board. Exceptional awardees will be selected to be part of the Industry Training Programme, l depending on the request from the member companies of the Chamber. The scholarship application will open by 1st June, 2023 and close by 30th June, 2023
1.1 Eligibility Criteria for Undergraduate Applicants
To be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant must:
- Be a Ghanaian according to the Constitution of Ghana, with proof of citizenship;
- Be a FIRST- or a SECOND-year student of UMaT;
- Not be a beneficiary of any other full (school fees + accommodation) scholarship at the time of application;
- Be law-abiding and be of good behaviour as stipulated in the UMaT Student Guide;
- Have a strong academic ability with a minimum CWA of 75% (proof of signed academic record) and a financial need (proof of parents/guardians’ financial position) (at least 70% of funds will be in this category). In special circumstances of extreme and emergency financial need backed by documentary evidence, an applicant with CWA of at least 60% shall be considered (at most 30% of funds will be in this category).
- Apply and submit a Completed Application Form for the Scholarship award before the deadline for the submission of the application;
- Submit only one application, and
- Undertake to comply with any other criteria that may be set by the GCM-TEF Board at the time of the award or disbursement.
1.2 Accessing the Scholarship and Important Deadlines
- The scholarship is to be accessed online through the UMaT website or directly at https://gcmtef.umat.edu.gh/.
- The UMaT GCM-TEF Committee will liaise with the ICT Unit to open the application by 1st June, 2023.
- Applicants must download the editable form, fill in, and submit the completed scholarship application form and its attachments through email before the deadline. The application deadline is 30th June, 2023.
- Incomplete applications and applications submitted after the deadline shall not be considered.
- The UMaT GCM-TEF Committee will review the application documents and recommend short-listed applicants to the GCM-TEF Governing Board through the Vice Chancellor by 31st July, 2023.
- Parents/Guardians may be contacted for further clarification.
1.3 Value of the Scholarship
- The average yearly budget for the Scholarship shall be the cedi equivalent of $46,800 and for this cohort, about 20 applicants would be covered depending on their requests.
- The value of scholarship for one applicant shall not exceed GH¢ 6,500, and shall cover:
- School Fees (Partial or Full); and/or
- Accommodation; and/or
1.4 Payment to Beneficiaries
Payment of the scholarship amount shall be made through the University, which will deduct the school fees, and Residential Facility User Fee (RFUF), where applicable, before the rest is reimbursed to the beneficiary for stipend and/or other living allowances. Administrative charges may apply.
1.5 Renewal and Continuity of Scholarship
The scholarship shall be awarded for one academic year. Renewal of scholarship is not automatic. Renewal and continuation of awards shall be contingent upon maintaining good academic progress, and satisfying all the eligibility criteria. The UMaT GCM-TEF Committee shall conduct annual assessment of the awardees’ suitability for renewal of the scholarship and recommend for the GCM-TEF Governing Board’s approval.
1.6 Advantage for Visible Minority
The scholarship is open to all qualified applicants irrespective of gender. However, females and disadvantaged persons (for example, persons with disability, persons from less endowed communities) who meet the required criteria would be given preference.
1.8 Termination of Scholarship
The scholarship of a beneficiary student may be terminated if the beneficiary:
- Engages in examination malpractice and/or misconduct of any form as stipulated in the UMaT Student Guide;
- Is deceased;
- Is found to be enjoying full scholarship from (an)other organisation(s) that fully covers approved fees of the University (School fees and accommodation and stipend);
- Abandons the programme of study;
- Defers the programme of study except for special reasons such as on medical grounds;
- Changes his/her programme of study;
- Fails to use the scholarship for its intended purposes; and
- Is found to have provided false information at the time of application or at any point in time. Such a student shall be made to refund all monies paid to him or her from the Fund and face all other sanctions provided in the University Statute, Student Guide and other laws/regulations in respect of false declaration and deceit of public officers.
1.9 Criteria for Selection of Applicants
The Selection Committee will use the following in selecting applicants for the award:
- Completed application document as a pre-requisite (incomplete applications/lack of supporting documents will not be considered);
- Cumulative Weighted Average (CWA) of students not below 75% for brilliant and needy students and 60% for extremely needy students: (maximum mark of 40 to be awarded for CWA of 80% and above);
- Evidence attesting ones’ needs (parent/guardian’s current job, pay-slip, physical state, etc) (maximum mark of 35 for deceased or incapacitated parent);
- Applicant’s letter of motivation (maximum mark of 15); and
- Recommendation letter (maximum mark of 10).
Note: All completed application forms must be submitted to: email@example.com